Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Our Highway Funding Fiasco

Run the numbers on this.
6% annual MSRP
 $.02 per mile.

GPS device installed to monitor mileage and report on when and where you drive and how fast.

A $200,000 Lamborghini registration fee would be $12,000 per year. It has a dry gross weight of 3,472 lbs.
A 18 wheeler max gross weight is 80,000 lbs. Cost about $260,000. Registration fee of about the same.

The small car would cost the same as a 18 wheeler in taxes. Which one does more damage to the roads?

I drive an old truck that would cost about $ 70,000 new right now. I paid $14000 when I bought it  but they want to tax it at MSRP of $70,000 or $4400 if I drive 12,000 miles a year. Half the worth of the truck each year increasing yearly.

Even if they taxed it at today's  worth it would be only worth about $8,000. A Harley motorcycle at $30,000  would be taxed at a greater rate than my truck. The truck does much more damage to a road than a motorcycle.

If I pull a trainer behind my truck there is more damage to the road. Will we put a GPS on every trailer?

We have some really smart people in Washington. "You don't understand. Clips are ammo. When they are used up they are gone. Then there will be no more."


Aluminum foil will defeat the GPS in about a 5 seconds install.. Many will be driving for less.